IMISCOE PhD Lead Workshop on Norms and Values
This workshop is organised by the IMISCOE funded research initiative on norms and values in migration and integration (NOVAMI) in collaboration with the H2020 project NoVaMigra (Norms and Values in the European Migration and Refugee Crisis) as well as the research schools of Global Politics and International Migration and Ethnic Relations (IMER) at Malmö University.
This is a PhD lead workshop on Norms and Values hosted by the Malmö Institute for Studies of Migration, Diversity and Welfare (MIM), held online via Zoom on April 28th-29th.
Among the many panels (see below) EVS encourages submissions to the panel on Polarization: Finding our way through the maze of theories, measurements and conclusions , chaired by Quita Muis (EVS Dutch Team)
Owing to societal transformations at an increasingly high pace, norms and values have taken centre stage in many contemporary political debates and social subjectivities. As society transforms, so does the diffusion, transmission, and education of norms and values.
Many social science disciplines have explicitly and implicitly engaged in these debates and done profound work to inform our understanding of these transformations. However, definitions and usages of these salient analytical concepts vary across the social sciences and can become conflated or vague. Keeping analytical diversity in mind, the workshop aims to gather individuals from a variety of disciplinary backgrounds to discuss the study of norms and values within their work. The current call for abstracts extends an invitation to academics across the globe who work with norms and/or values.
Below you can find the panels that will be featured in the workshop:
▪ Absence of language, reproduction of discourse and value transmission around racialized identities – Panel Chair(s): Caroline Adolfsson, Marina Lazëri
▪ Answering to the roll call: challenges and good practices for the integration of immigrants’ children at school – Panel Chair(s): Giulia Dugar, Yuki Nagae
▪ COVID-19 and People on the Move – Prospects for Reshaping the Norms of Human Mobility in the European Union’s Migration Management – Panel Chair(s): Danijela Canji
▪ Critical Gender Perspectives to Family Reunification Regulations and Administrative Practice – Panel Chair(s): Nicole Stybnarova
▪ Equality for Immigrants in Theory and Practice – Panel Chair(s): Daniel Sharp
▪ In the Name of Liberalism? The Role of (Liberal) Values in Integration Policy and Practice – Panel Chair(s): Stefan Manser-Egli
▪ Norms and Values in Asylum and Migration Bureaucracy – Panel Chair(s): Johan Ekstedt
▪ Norms and values in EU migration, asylum and integration policy – Panel Chair(s): Alexandra Berger
▪ Polarization: Finding our way through the maze of theories, measurements and conclusions – Panel Chair(s): Quita Muis
▪ The capacity of institutions to promote values of equality and good relations between ethnic groups – Panel Chair(s): Adam Ridley
▪ The European Union as a Value Promoter in times of Value Crisis – Panel Chair(s): Michel Vincent Anderlini, Isobel Squire
- Abstracts submission deadline: January 25th 2021
- Notification sent to participants: February 1st 2021
- Final submission of papers: April 15th 2021
- Workshops held on zoom: April 28th -29th 2021
Read the Main call
The workshop organising committee consists of:
Ingrid Jerve Ramsøy