Job offer – Junior researcher
The Department of Sociology at Tilburg University is looking for an enthusiastic Junior researcher – project “European Values Study in the Social Sciences & Humanities Open Cloud Infrastructure” (0.8-1.0 fte for 10 months)
As a Junior Researcher, you will participate in research projects of the European Values Study (EVS). EVS (www.europeanvaluesstudy.eu) is a large-scale, cross-national, and longitudinal survey research program on basic human values. It provides insights into the ideas, beliefs, preferences, attitudes, values, and opinions of citizens all over Europe. It is a unique research project on how Europeans think about life, family, work, religion, politics, and society; it started in 1981. The Social Sciences & Humanities Open Cloud (SSHOC) is a EU-Horizon 2020 funded a program (www.sshopencloud.eu).
In this context, the main focus will be on surveycodings.org: a facility to develop further the coding of variables that are crucial in surveys, e.g., educational level, occupation, religion, and other core demographic variables. EVS is cooperating here with other European surveys, and will extend the scope to global social surveys. Focus for the coming period will be to standardize and harmonize codings further and make them available within surveycodings.org. The Junior Researcher may also be involved in other activities of the EVS.
- The main tasks of the Junior researcher are the following:
- Standardising and harmonizing codings and looking for translations in different languages;
- Making these codings available to the research community by further developing the surveycodings.org website, writing blogs and other materials for survey research programs;
- Assisting in developing a sustainable infrastructure for codings for the years to come;
- Administrative / support tasks.
- You have (or will soon receive) a (research) master degree;
- You have good knowledge of quantitative research methods and statistical programs like SPSS, Stata and/or R;
- You are willing to learn, are open for feedback;
- You have good communication and teamwork skills;
- You have a good command of English.
Employment conditions and information for applying are available here.
Specific information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. Ruud Luijkx, principal investigator and chair of the Executive Committee of EVS: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 6 April 2021. The interviews will take place in April 13, 2021. The anticipated starting date for the position is 1 May 2021.