Wave after wave, the European Values Study improved its methodological standards by increasing the harmonization of the procedures; applying the more recent developments in survey research; enhancing the transparency of the processes through monitoring and detailed documentation. The main features of the EVS Methodology are the following:
- Mode of data collection: F2F interview. In 2017 mixed-mode has been introduce as experiment
- Sample size: effective size=1000 in 1981; increased up to 1500 in 2008; 1200 in 2017
- Sampling: the use of quotes was admitted in the first waves, but since 2008 only probabilistic representative sample
- Target: Resident population older than 18 years old
- Translation and monitoring: centrally coordinated since 2008
- Data Access: data and documentation of all the waves are available free of charge. They are stored in the Data Archive for the Social Sciences of GESIS – Leibniz Institute in Cologne, Germany.
The Methodological guidelines of EVS are developed by the Methodology Group.